In this week of reassessment and reflection, I think about my clients over the years and put them into two categories:
- Colour Lovers – People who pick colours based on their emotional responses and who aren’t afraid to use colour whenever they can.
- Colour Hesitants – People who are afraid to make the wrong choices with colour and therefore stick to the neutrals and rarely change their colours.
Although there are alot of Colour Hesitants in Toronto, I believe this is changing and people are becoming more courageous. Hurrah!
If you are a Colour Hesitant and want to become a Colour Lover in the new year, take these first steps:
1. Look at the colour themes for 2011 below. Take your time and look at each one carefully. Pick the theme that you absolutely love – that you say, “Ooh! I like that one.”
2. You have my permission to pull the picture from the site and print out only the theme that you love.
3. Hang it on your fridge, wall, on your closet, wherever, so that you can see it in your environment. You will be able to see which colours you can pick out as accents (usually the more vibrant ones).
4. Slowly incorporate that colour into your decor by purchasing throw pillows, hand towels, bedding, vases etc. Be courageous!
5. If and when you are comfortable with this or these new colours, take the next big step and repaint. For example, take the accent colour and paint your headboard wall. Or go for it and do the whole room.
6. From this point on you can take that printed colour theme whenever you shop for home decor items and use it as a guide to pick colours that work with your theme.
Congratulations, you are now a Colour Lover!